(Sugar Free, Grain Free)
The festive season is often a time of overindulgence. Why not try some healthier alternatives this year to share with your family and friends. My mum makes this cake every year and it’s an absolute favourite in our family ~Kate Bird.
- 250g Butter, melted 1 1⁄2 cups Sultanas
- 2 Tbs Honey 1 1⁄2 cups Raisins
- 4 Eggs 2 cups Pitted Dates, chopped
- 2 1⁄2 cup Almond Meal 1 Zest of an Orange
- 1⁄2 tsp Bi-carb Soda 1 cup Rum
- 2 tsp Mixed Spice
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup Almond Kernels
- 1⁄2 cup Blanched Almonds
- 1⁄2 cup Walnut Halves, whole
- 1/3 cup Rum (extra)
- Combine fruit and rum in a large bowl. Cover and leave to stand overnight. Stir well.
- Preheat oven to 150’C. Line a deep, 20cm square cake pan with 2 layers of baking paper, extending above the sides of the pan.
- Beat cooled butter and honey until creamy. Add eggs, 1 at a time.
- Add 1 cup of almond meal, spices and bi-carb soda and mix until well combined.
- Stir in remaining almond meal.
- Stir in the fruit mixture.
- Spread mixture into the prepared baking pan, and smooth the top.
- Arrange the nuts on top of the cake to cover well.
- Bake for about 1 1⁄2 hours, or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Brush hot cake with the extra rum.
- Cover the cake with the baking paper, wrap in a tea towel and allow to cool in the pan.